Are you a creative, early-career professional with strong writing and editing skills? Are you passionate about communications and urban sustainability? Do you want to work for the #1 environmental and natural resources think tank? If your answers to these questions are a hearty yes, we have an opportunity for you.
EMBARQ, the sustainable urban transport and planning program of the World Resources Institute (WRI), and producer of TheCityFix, is now accepting applications for a full-time Writer and Blogger Intern in its Washington, DC office.
See position details and instructions to apply below, or apply now.
EMBARQ, the sustainable transport and urban development program of the World Resources Institute, is seeking a creative professional to assist our Marketing and Communications team in generating content for TheCityFix.com blog and EMBARQ.org news section, as well as the EMBARQ Network News monthly newsletter. This internship is ideal for recent graduates or early-career professionals in communications, marketing, public relations, environmental science, English, liberal arts, or related studies. You will get real world experience in a fast-paced environment. Internships may vary in length depending on your schedule, interest, and abilities.
EMBARQ catalyzes and helps implement environmentally, socially and financially sustainable urban mobility and urban planning solutions to improve people’s quality of life in cities. EMBARQ operates through a global network of centers in Brazil, China, India, Mexico, and Turkey, with an office in Washington, DC where this internship will be located. The EMBARQ network collaborates with local, regional and national political leaders, businesses, academics and civil society to reduce pollution, improve public health, and create safe, accessible and attractive urban public spaces and integrated transport systems. EMBARQ has built its global recognition on its local experience, and addressing national and international policies and finance. More information at www.embarq.org.
- 75% Write, edit, and publish online as support to experts
- 10% Research news stories, blogs, on new initiatives and trends, interact with and assist EMBARQ experts in promoting their work
- 10% Email marketing
- 5% Organize content on websites, databases, social media
- Recent graduate or early-career professional with a degree in communications, marketing, public relations, environmental science, English, liberal arts, or related studies
- Interest in sustainability marketing and communications
- Excellent written communication skills
- Strong interviewing/note-taking/editing skills
- Expert knowledge of MS Word
- Extremely well organized
- Capable of meeting tight deadlines on a regular basis, and organizing an editorial calendar
- Ability to learn new technologies and online platforms for publishing quickly
- Research ability
- Taste for graphic design
- Experience writing and editing content for a daily online publisher
- Knowledge of photo editing software
- Experience with Drupal 7, WordPress, and Vertical Response
- Experience in developing marketing materials, working with videos, podcasting, blogs, web content management, graphics and email systems
- Basic knowledge of HTML
- Proficiency in Spanish, Portuguese, Turkish, and/or Mandarin Chinese
Final candidate will be required to take a writing test
The World Resources Institute is a global research organization that goes beyond research to put ideas into action. We work with governments, companies, and civil society to build solutions to urgent environmental challenges. WRI’s transformative ideas protect the earth and promote development because sustainability is essential to meeting human needs and fulfilling human aspirations in the future.
Established in 1982, WRI is a non-profit 501(c)(3) organization respected globally by policymakers, NGOs, and corporate leaders because of the rigorous quality, balance, and independence of its work. With its think-tank roots, WRI values innovative ideas, working collaboratively, and thinking independently. WRI employees see the results of their hard work and have the satisfaction of making a significant difference in the world.
Currently a $50 million organization with an international staff of approximately 350, WRI has offices in the U.S., China, India, Brazil and more, and active projects in more than 50 countries. WRI provides objective information and practical proposals for policy and institutional change that foster environmentally sound, socially equitable development.
EMBARQ, the sustainable transport and urban development program of the World Resources Institute, catalyzes environmentally and financially sustainable transport solutions to improve quality of life in cities. Since 2002, the network has grown to include five global centers, located in Brazil, China, India, Mexico, and Turkey, that work together with national and local authorities to reduce pollution, improve public health, and create safe, accessible and attractive urban public spaces. The network employs more than 170 experts in fields ranging from architecture to air quality management; geography to journalism; and sociology to civil and transport engineering. EMBARQ’s global strategy aims to achieve the following impacts by 2016: over 16,000 lives saved, 6.7 million tons of CO2 emissions avoided, 11.8 billion transport trips served, 3.1 billion hours of travel time saved and $6.2 billion in investments leveraged.